Beautiful Mermaid Art
Mermaid art is the mermaid as icon, symbol and dream...
Ariel is a certified Disney Princess, her DVDs have sold millions of copies and she still appears on the Disney Channel and Disney Junior.
There is a Barbie mermaid figure, Dora the explorer has actually been a mermaid, there is mermaid anime (some are horror stories) and mermaids appear regularly in movies, on TV and cable. You can find them on prints and posters, there are dolls, figurines and statues. They are on clothing items such as T-shirts, purses, skirts and even bedding.
Mermaids are sexy...
She is a sex symbol. Even women sees her as beautiful and sensual. The mermaid is a powerful symbol of strength and femininity. There is nothing sexist or demeaning in this. These are some of the mermaid's strongest qualities: her freedom and her confidence.
In the book "The Mermaid Chair" by Sue Monk Kidd, the protagonist begins to paint pictures of herself as a mermaid. Her pictures help her to get a better hold on the under-developed parts of her character.
Mermaids are mystical...
For me, this type of art connects to something mystical in the human psyche. I remember once many years ago I had spent a day alone at the shore. When the sun set I went to a seafood restaurant on the bay. After the meal, I was going back to my car when I heard a splashing sound like someone coming out of the water...
Immediately, an image flashed into my mind. I saw a mermaid just off shore, wrapped in her beauty and mystery. The feeling was caught up with the day I had spent, the night, and the bright lights at sea. I had a very strong sensation of someone actually being there.
This powerful experience stayed with me for months only gradually fading away. The emotions I had then re-occur almost every time I am at the shore.
I invite you to enter this site, read the stories and look at the pictures. You will see what mermaids mean to me, what they mean to others, and perhaps what they mean to you.
A Friendly Warning
Some of the art in this site contains nudity, hopefully always in good taste. This is inevitable given the subject matter. If it will bother you then all you have to do is avoid the galleries. There are plenty of stories and lots of information about mermaids in the rest of the site.
Enough talk already! If you want to jump right to the galleries and see some mermaid art you can click on any of the following links. The art galleries are interlinked so you can move from one to the other without returning to this page or the list of all galleries. To go to the list of all galleries just click "Galleries" on the navbar on any page, or click "All Galleries" below.
Prints of Mermaid Art
Original Mermaid Art
- Mermaid Costumes, Accessories and Party Supplies
- Going to a party or hosting one? Here we have mermaid costumes, party supplies and other necessities for the the perfect costume party.
- Mermaid Art Gallery
- Welcome to
the Mermaid Art Gallery, the starting point for our exploration of
- Mermaid Tattoo
- The mermaid tattoo is a staple of the tattooer's art along with anchors, skulls and 'mother'. It can have elements of sensuous beauty or be a girly pin-up.
- Anime Mermaid
- I think that the anime mermaid benefits greatly from the Japanese art style. The long, flowing hair and large expressive eyes are perfect for a mermaid.
- The Manga Mermaid
- The best known manga mermaid series is Mermaid Saga by Rumiko Takahashi. Rumiko Takahashi is one of the most famous
- Mermaid Mythology
- The oldest form of the mermaid in mermaid mythology is the goddess Atargatis from Syria. A famous statue of Atargatis shows her
- The Legend of the Mermaid
- The legend of the mermaid includes everything from folk tales to the myths and poetry of modern times. The stories from
- MYTHOLOGY WATER NYMPH
- In mythology water nymph refers to a class of minor deities associated with rivers, streams, ponds, lakes, fountains or the sea. The word "nymph" comes from
- Mermaid Transformation Stories
- Mermaid transformation stories feature the sudden, inexplicable change of a mortal into a mermaid.
- Real Mermaid Timeline
- Of course, there is no such thing as a real mermaid but mermaid sightings are real enough.
- MERMAID STORIES
- There are two types of mermaid stories here: One is neither myth nor folk tale but fiction written by a known author. The other type
- MERMAID LINKS
- Mermaid links, and other types of links, to some interesting sites that you may find useful. Some can be found elsewhere in this site but I have collected them here because they are good enought for a second mention.
- Mermaid Search